I had a shoot that I was a little bit concerned about today. When trying to pick a word for how I felt, I could only come up with “concerned.” I suppose “nervous” could also be a word to use, but I don’t think that’s right. I knew I’d end up with something at the end of the shoot, but wasn’t sure what it would be. I had this idea in my head of how I wanted it to look, and how I’d set it up, but it was complicated and I wasn’t sure if I could pull it off. The subjects were an improv duo called Entropy. They paint and make music based on an audience suggestion. I think the idea is extremely cool, and I wanted to illustrate how the two of them influence each other in the performance of their art. I asked them to bring a keyboard and an easel with some artwork painted during a show.

They had asked for a kind of serious, sophisticated classy look. I went for a Karsh-type lighting-style. I finally remembered to take a photo of the setup of the shoot. I usually forget to do this, but I’m glad I remembered this time.


I used all three of my Alien Bees lights with grids and kind of wish i had a fourth. In hindsight I could have used one of the Vivitars but it might have been too much.

I’m really proud of this result. They’re very happy with it too.